Saturday, February 26, 2011

How Can I Use Action Research?

I think action research is all about reflection and change-two things that educators should constantly embrace. Action research involves asking questions, gathering data, adjusting practices based on the findings of the inquiry, and sharing results. Action research is cyclical; it never ends. Once you satisfy the requirements of one inquiry, reflecting on those changes will lead you to the next question to investigate. As an educator, I am often forced to make changes to my current practices by outside consultants, instructional coaches, or universities providing grants to the school. Therefore, I was pleased to learn action research is driven by educators themselves and involves researching matters that are of importance to the individual. Action research leads to constant learning.

I think I will be able to use action research to continually improve. As I fly through my fourth year of teaching, I can understand the temptation to become stagnant. I plan to use action research to reflect and challenge myself to raise the bar higher. Action research will help me identify areas of weakness and possible professional development needs. Hopefully I will also be able to increase student learning, improve my teaching methods, and contribute to positive change on my campus.


No comments:

Post a Comment